Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Almost there

I was sitting at a stand alone bus stop in the middle of nowhere. In front of me is a vast green field with the nearest flat 1 km away. 200m behind me a modern white elephant of the Punggol MRT station. The road in front of me stretches to my left disappearing into the forest and to my right into nothingness. The sky is dark and I can feel the strong cool breeze. It is going to rain...

I thought to myself: "What am I doing here?"

Suddenly life descend into nothingness...

I was on the verge of understanding the meaning of life, almost attaining nirvana, nearly achieving enlightenment, closing to the truth... Suddenly I realise everything is meaningless and non-existent. It exists because you think it is and you give value to it.

And then I woke up and realise how "ulu" (deserted) Punggol is. It is a place where birds don't lay eggs and dogs don't shit at place. Here I am waiting for a bus to go into the forest on my far left and expect to find a restaurant?! Why would someone open a restaurant at this place which is far far away long long ago?? The first thing when I met the restaurant owner I will say,

Pineapple Tat: "Hi! Nice restaurant, I would like to do promotions with your restaurant."
Restaurant Owner: "Sure!"
Pineapple Tat: "Can you sign the contract here?"
Restaurant Owner: "Ok!"
Pineapple Tat: "We would like to give you some point of sales materials like A1 banners, acrylic tentcards and bill folder inserts."
Restaurant Owner: "Yipeee!"
Pineapple Tat: "I can see that you have lots of customers like birds, racoons and monkeys in your restaurant."
Restaurant Owner: "These are my regulars."
Pineapple Tat: "I see there are no humans here. What promotions are we doing?"
Restaurant Owner: "1 for 1 Bananas, 10% off ala carte peanuts and 20% off signature earthworms."
Pineapple Tat: "I see..."

As I left the restaurant, the restaurant owner offer me some flies, I kindly decline. I think I saw him sticking out his tongue and sucking the flies.

I am almost there. Almost where? Almost getting out of there.....

No comments: