Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Follow my heart

Yesterday I sat on my bed and was seriously contemplating changing my course of studies. Its not as simple as changing from SIM-UOL Banking and Finance to other courses like UOL's Business but a bigger ONE. I thought of changing school. I am considering studying Mass Communication from Oklahama City University, a US university.

I am always interested in doing advertising and marketing, basically things that need your imagination and freedom of expression. I followed my head to take SIM-UOL cos its 1 of the most recognised if not the most recognised among private schools. I realise business is pretty theoractical and technical. Basically its reading, reading and more READING! I love to read but then reading theories is another story.

I decided to tell my Mum about my decision and dilemma, you know she is my financier, I got to account to her,

Me: "Mummy, I am thinking of changing school..." (waiting for the world to collaspe)
Mummy: "So what you want to study." (I was stunned, how come there is no repurcussion??)
Me: "I am thinking of taking up Mass Comm..." (maybe this is it)
Mummy: "Well... You need to find out more and study what you like." (whats going on?)
Me: "How come you are so cool about it?" (My mum always scold me for anything even for my father's fault)
Mummy: "Its your money what."
Me: "........." -_-" (I see)

Surprisingly my Mum is supportive of my decision. Probably one reason is that I told her that this time I would be taking part time instead of full time, and I will be looking for a job to finance myself. I had a friend Mr Robin who once told me, it takes a lot of guts to give up something and do what you like. He is one of them. He has a degree in business from NTU and he works in Campus Crusade for not a very high pay. He could have a higher pay in the private sector. He got a wife and a daughter to support somemore. Admirable...

At the moment, I have only told a few friends. Today I was also surprised by Mr Gump's support. He is more of a practical and logical person. A person who follows his head. He told me its better to change now when I am in yr 1 then when I am in yr 3. He says he can see that Maths and Stats to me are HIV and H5N1. (-_-" what a description) I expect Mr Fly to screw me upside down for wasting time and money cos he is a pratical-makes-lots-of -money person. Mr Buddy most likely will screw me for fun, laugh and then tell me to go ahead.The worst are my relatives I reckon.

It takes a lot of guts to give up something which you have put in a lot of effort and time. Just like a course of study or a relationship thats not working. This time I am going to follow my heart.... Why?... Because we all only live once.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep, do follow what you think you'll like to do. And your friend is right, change now, rather than hating whatever you doing at year three. =D