Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Jack and the Beanstalk

Me: "You know what?"
Mr Giant: "What?"
Me: "You are big and useless!"
Mr Giant: "You know what is worse than being big and useless?!"
Me: "What?"
Mr Giant: "Small and useless and thats you!"
Me: "..........." -_-"
Mr Giant is one head taller than me (he has quite a big head), his shoulder length is one and a half times mine and he has very hairy legs. During our vocation course, he was very quiet and he hang out by himself. And then he moved into my bunk. He was not that a loner, just takes more time to warm up to people.

We sleep next to each other, often during his free time, he would be lying on his bed shaking his legs and read a book. At times, we would talk about life and I would ask for his advice on matters, while I would offer mine, he would stick to his. Because he is more down to earth and my ideas are more out of the world. Sometimes I would advise him this way,
Me: "You know what you need."
Mr Giant: "What?"
Me: "You need a psychiatrist and you need ME."
Mr Giant: "Haha!" (he was amused)
Me: "I usually charge $30 an hour but since you are my friend, I will give you 50% discount, $15 will do."
Mr Giant: "Haha!" (laughing heartily)
Well... He did not accept my offer. It was a pretty good deal you know.

During army we had to learn ACCT (advance close combat training), we had to do this sparing element where we would be padded up and use the pugil stick (long thick padded stick) to whack each other. Mr Giant was pretty big size and had done bodybuilding before. Well he was my sparing partner. In fact, I volunteered to fight him, he should pick someone his own size and I feel I was more than up to it. Hehe. Even before our fateful fight that day, I had always talk about how I am going to kick his ass one day.
Me: "Hey, do you know what is my nickname?"
Mr Giant: "What?"
Me: "Giant-Slayer."
Mr Giant: "Hahaha!" (clearly amused)
Me: "Dont laugh, I will kick your ass man."
Mr Giant: "Hahahaha!" (even more amused)
Me: "Dont you know about David and Goliath, Jack and the Beanstalk?! The little guy always beat the bigger guy."
Mr Giant: "Hahahahahahaha!"
Do you know why he laugh? Because he was scared. Hehheh.

On that fateful day, we fought. It was a tough fight. After the smoke is gone and the dust has settled, he told me I was the most agressive of his sparing partners. I took it that he has admitted defeat although he was still standing up.

Besides competing on our physical strengths, we also compete on our intelligence. I told him,
Me: "You know how they always say that the smaller guy is smarter than the bigger guy."
Mr Giant: "Its not true."
Me: "Its true, just look at me and you."
Mr Giant: "Hahahaha." (always amused, I wonder why)

Later we had an agreement, we would be "twang" (slacking) buddies. We would work together and slack, I mean rest together. We would eat together often at the Muslim canteen in the morning after our work. Everytime he was with me, I feel like I have a bodyguard, nobody believes that I am actually the one protecting him.

Thanks to Mr Giant, we had a pharmacy at bunk. He was pretty health conscious and knows something about medicine. He was our in-bunk doctor. His locker has all kinds of drugs. We would ask him for medical advice and ask him whether he had any drugs for us. I suspect he is a drug peddler or some kind of Columbian drug lord.

Due to the fact that he was the last to move in to our bunk, he was consider a newbie. I always ask him to clear the rubbish bin as he slept nearest to it and he was new. I ask him to do all kinds of chores, sweep the floor, wipe the windows and clean the lockers. He asked why. I told him because he was a newbie and was considered the lowest rank.

Now Mr Giant is in SMU. I wish him all the best in his studies and his life. We will meet up after his exams. I hope he dont feel bitter that I kick his ass once.......

No comments: